2014 KTM 450 SX-F Factory Edition
Good Tires, Tall Seat, flex Bars, New Grips, Pro Moto Billet Aluminum Kick Stand, Akorapovic Exhaust
With the 450 SX-F, the KTM range offers a winner bike that draws potential from a large-displacement engine and a chassis perfectly tuned to handling its raw power. Ryan Dungey has used it to win the AMA 450 Motocross Championship and saw absolutely no reason to change bikes in order to defend his title. No wonder, as the compact SOHC engine with the groundbreaking injection technology guarantees brute but highly controllable power. Among the large 4-strokes, the 450 SX-F scores mainly with its performance and agility. It is the right choice for every motocross rider looking for torque and power with lots of control for racing.
- Engine: The compact 60hp power pack with a single overhead camshaft and the latest electronic fuel injection is distinguished by unrivaled performance and a highly efficient power delivery. Thanks to a revised crankcase, the weight is reduced for 2014.
- Pistons: Inside the cylinder with a bore of 95mm, an extremely lightweight bridged-box-type piston delivers a major contribution to the engine's low vibrations and engine-speed strength. The compression ratio is 12.6:1. Optimized for 2013, a new piston pin delivers more durability.
- Cylinder Head: Inside the 450 SX-F engine's cylinder head, an overhead camshaft controls four ultra-lightweight titanium valves via extremely rigid rocker arms which are DLC-coated on the intake side. This configuration allows engine speeds up to 11,500rpm, a major contribution to the unique performance of the large displacement KTM engine. In 2013, a new three-layer head gasket is used that guarantees more durability under the most extreme conditions. In addition, the camshaft has received a strengthened auto-decompression mechanism.
- Crankshaft: The 450 SX-F's crankshaft employs a plain big end bearing. Two force-fitted bearing shells run directly on the crank pin. The necessary oil feed for this bearing is ensured by the engine's pressure lubrication. This design is a major prerequisite for the extremely high engine speed levels and unrivaled maximum power of the 450cc engine. Another decisive customer benefit is the crankshaft service interval which can be lengthened due to the plain bearing.
- Counter Balance Shaft: The side-mounted counter balance shaft also drives the water pump. Thanks to the perfect mass balancing and the power plant's low total oscillating masses, engine vibrations can be kept to a minimum even at the highest engine speeds.
- Crankcase: The die-cast crankcase has been further developed by removing the kickstarter dome to achieve a weight reduction compared to its predecessor.
- Engine Management System (EMS): In combination with the revolutionary injector position as developed by KTM, the Keihin Engine Management System, with electronic fuel injection and 44mm throttle body provides the engine with a spontaneous response and maximum performance. For 2014, the wiring harness of the 450 SX-F has been further simplified and even higher quality wires and connectors are used. In order to protect them against pressure washers, many connectors are now enclosed in new rubber boots. With an optional map-select switch from the KTM PowerParts program, EMS continues to allow selecting different engine characteristics. In addition, the optional User-Setting Tool allows to readout engine data with a laptop and change the ignition and injection mappings with a few mouse clicks.
- Exhaust System: The new 450 SX-F's optimized silencer achieves outstanding performance at low noise levels.
- Air Box: The airbox design offers maximum protection of the air filter against soiling while ensuring maximum airflow for top performance. The Twin Air filter can be changed without tools in seconds, a standard for KTM.
- Electric Starter: The 450 SX-F is fitted with an electric starter as standard - a clear advantage when it comes to crunch time in the heat of battle. In 2014, a newly-developed freewheel assembly is used to increase durability.
- Fuel Tank: All models of the SX range have a new, lightweight polythene tank with a capacity of 1.98 gallons. The new filler cap with the inside thread makes for an easier and reliable closure. The 4-stroke models have the same fuel pump system as the 4-stroke Enduro models, which makes it easy to fit a larger tank from the PowerParts program.
- Transmission: For 2014, KTM has optimized its gear tooth geometry to provide customers with a lightweight 5-speed gear box with increased durability.
- Clutch: The 450 SX-F employs the KTM-developed DDS (Damped Diaphragm Steel) clutch with a wear-free steel basket and extremely heat resistant clutch plates. This design is distinguished by employing a diaphragm spring instead of the usual coil springs, which makes for a considerably easier clutch action. Strengthened for 2013, the diaphragm spring also leaves sufficient space for a damping system integrated into the clutch hub, which benefits both traction and durability. A stronger inner hub further increases stability. The hydraulic Brembo clutch mechanism with a new master cylinder guarantees a light operation and highly controllable modulation of the clutch.
- Frame: The state-of-the-art frame design made of lightweight, high-strength chromoly steel sections combines maximum longitudinal stiffness with optimum torsional rigidity. It guarantees easy handling and precise cornering, but also outstanding stability.
- Suspension/Damping: The rear monoshock as well as the 48mm upside-down front fork by WP Suspension guarantee the best response and damping characteristics. In 2014, the fork has more reserves against bottoming out thanks to their optimized setting. Of course, compression and rebound damping can be adjusted to the track conditions and the rider's preferences with a twist of the wrist - the rear monoshock even has separate high and low speed adjustments.
- Triple Clamps: Top-quality, CNC-machined triple clamps have been something of a KTM trademark. Ensuring a precise handling, they perceptibly support the flex characteristics, and with it, the fork's action.
- Swingarm: Designed using the latest in calculation and simulation software, the design and wall thickness of the cast aluminum swingarm have been optimized for minimum weight at optimum stiffness and precisely defined flexibility provides perfect stability at minimum weight. For 2014, the engineers have revised the chain guide to increase reliability while lowering the weight.
- Wheels: The wheels use lightweight, CNC-machined hubs, high-end Excel rims and spokes coated in black with lightweight aluminum nipples to achieve maximum stability at minimum weight. The OEM Dunlop Geomax MX51 tires deliver perfect traction and outstanding performance.
- Brakes: High-Tech Brembo brakes have always been standard equipment on KTM offroad bikes. Combined with the lightweight Wave discs, they are the ultimate solution in braking technology. The SX models gain a newly-developed master cylinder with a new reservoir, a smaller piston diameter and optimized lever kinematics. Combined with optimized brake pads, this makes for another perceptible improvement of front brake performance and action.
- Bodywork: In shaping the bodywork, the KTM designers' ergonomic and design focus was to achieve complete harmony between rider and bike, down to the finest details. The front fender is a prime example of a molded polymer component gaining maximum stability through a well thought-out structure and mounting.
- Seat: Ergonomically perfect, the seat has received an improved foam core, ensuring greater comfort and durability.
- Graphics: New classy graphics with clear lines visually underscore the exacting standards of what KTM deems a true, cutting-edge motocross bike.
- Handlebar: All SX models are fitted with the super strong, tapered Renthal Fatbar 827 whose bend is especially well suited for the requirements of motocross. The proven standard KTM mount allows to fix the handlebar in four different positions. A large Renthal crash pad in a classy combination of black and silver, offers effective crash protection for the rider.
- Design: 1-cylinder 4-stroke engine, water-cooled
- Displacement: 449.3 cm³ (27.418 cu in.)
- Bore: 95 mm (3.74 in.)
- Stroke: 63.4 mm (2.496 in.)
- Starting aid: Electric starter
- Gearbox: 5-gear, claw shifted
- Engine lubrication: Pressure circulation lubrication with two Eaton pumps
- Primary transmission: 32:76
- Secondary gear ratio: 14:52
- Cooling: Water cooling, permanent circulation of coolant by water pump
- Clutch: DDS Multidisc clutch in oil bath/hydraulically activated
- Ignition: Contactless controlled fully electronic ignition with digital ignition adjustment
- Frame: Central tube frame made of chrome molybdenum steel tubing
- Fork: WP Suspension Up Side Down 4860 MXMA CC
- Shock absorber: WP Suspension 5018 BAVP DCC
- Suspension travel Front: 300 mm (11.81 in.)
- Suspension travel Rear: 317 mm (12.48 in.)
- Brake system: Disc brakes, brake calipers on floating bearings
- Brake discs - diameter Front: 260 mm (10.24 in.)
- Brake discs - diameter Rear: 220 mm (8.66 in.)
- Chain: 5/8 x 1/4 in.
- Steering head angle: 63.5 deg.
- Wheelbase: 1,495±10 mm (58.86±0.39 in.)
- Ground clearance, unloaded: 371 mm (14.61 in.)
- Seat height, unloaded: 992 mm (39.06 in.)
- Total fuel tank capacity, approx.: 7.5 L (1.98 US gal.) Super unleaded (ROZ 95/RON 95/PON 91)
- Weight without fuel, approx.: 107.3 kg (236.6 lb.)
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder 4-stroke engine, water-cooled
- 449.3 cm³ (27.418 cu in.)
- Bore and Stroke
- 3.74 x 2.496 in. (95 x 63.4 mm)
- Water cooling, permanent circulation of coolant by water pump
- Contactless controlled fully electronic ignition with digital ignition adjustment
- Front Suspension
- WP Suspension Up Side Down 4860 MXMA CC
- Front Brakes
- Disc brakes, brake calipers on floating bearings
- Rear Suspension
- WP Suspension 5018 BAVP DCC
- Rear Brakes
- Disc brakes, brake calipers on floating bearings
- Dry Weight
- 236.6 lb. (107.3 kg)
- Fuel Capacity
- 1.98 US gal. (7.5 L)
- 58.86±0.39 in. (1,495±10 mm)
- Ground Clearance
- 14.61 in. (371 mm)
- Seat Height
- 39.06 in. (992 mm)
- 5-gear, claw shifted
- Final Drive
- 5/8 x 1/4 in. Chain